Once your baby arrives, you realize that you have little time for yourself, let alone exercising. But if you really want to get back into shape and stay fit, there is a way that you can exercise and bond with your baby at the same time! You may not have time to go to the gym anymore, but with a few simple tweaks, you can make exercising a fun time. Some ideas that you can follow are listed below.
- Make exercise part of your morning routine - You may not be a morning person, but when you have a baby, you will automatically need to wake up early. Take advantage of this and incorporate a few minutes of exercise before you begin your day. This will increase your metabolism and keep you energized throughout your day.
- Get dressed - When you wake up in the morning, a good idea is to get dressed in your exercise clothes. This will keep you motivated and ready to exercise at different times during the day. Workout clothes are also pretty comfortable. You can also opt for nursing tanks and tops that will make it convenient for you to feed your baby whenever required.
- Break down your exercise routine - You may not be able to enjoy those hour-long exercise sessions anymore as your baby will be seeking all of your attention. So in between changing diapers, and feeding sessions, take 10-minute breaks to exercise. Exercising 10–15 minutes at a time, whether it is high knees, jumping jacks, or walking lunges, is as good and effective as the hour-long workouts.
- Try yoga - Babies can start doing yoga with you from the time they are three to four months old. Wait until they are able to hold their head up, and then you can safely assist your baby in a few simple poses. Yoga poses or simple stretches in babies help them digest their food and relieve gas, colic, and constipation. For yourself, you can try some cat and cow poses. Try some leg lifts with baby on your shin or the “savasana” pose, which is just lying down and relaxing. Get down on a mat or thick towel and start your yoga workout with your baby.
- Take a walk - Walking outdoors is one of the best ways to exercise. Putting your baby in a stroller or using a front carrier is a great way for yourself and baby to feel rejuvenated. The fresh air will do you both plenty of good. Pick an appropriate time to go out. For instance, you can choose to go out early in the day or later in the evening, to avoid the strong sun.
- Join a class - Initially, you may not be able to join the gym, but you can opt for a fitness class for new moms. Gyms and fitness centers offer classes for mums and babies. These often include stroller workouts, water aerobics, general fitness classes, yoga, and pilates. These classes are a great way for you to make new friends with other moms, and it’s a good time for baby and you to bond.
- Dance - When you have kids, it’s easy to turn on some music, dance, and just enjoy yourselves with them. A great way to exercise is to turn your dance party into a workout. You decide how light or intense you want it to be. Maybe even hold your baby and dance with them. You’ll be surprised at how intense dancing can get sometimes!
Go on a date - Exercising with your partner is even better than working out alone. It’s a good way to get motivated and enjoy spending time with your partner at the same time. Get a family member or a friend to babysit while you go on a bike ride, race each other, or go hiking and simply have fun.